Rainy season is upon us. Here are a few tips to help you prepare…
What can we expect during rain storms?
La Quinta averages less than 5 inches of rain per year and we usually see our heaviest month of rainfall in January. We recommend that residents and visitors stay up to date on local weather so everyone can prepare for the rains. The rain can bring lightning and cause local flooding along with flash flooding so remain vigilant when driving and hiking. Please be aware of changing road conditions as even a light rain may make roads slippery.
- Clean gutters and water drains.
- Fix any roof tiles or shingles that are abnormal.
- Clear any over-reaching tree limbs that can fall and damage your home.
- Get sand bags to help control water flow.
- Check for adequate tread on your car's tires.
- Be informed about your risk – find out if you live in a flood zone (click here). If you do, consider flood insurance.
- Have a plan – discuss family meeting places and out-of-state contacts for emergencies.
- Make a kit – put together enough water and food for at least three days. Include medications, a flashlight, battery-operated radio, and spare batteries.
- Get involved – the City holds Community Emergency Response Team trainings. Participants learn basic disaster response skills. For more information, contact Zander Johnston, Emergency Services Coordinator, at email@example.com or 760-777-704.4
- How much flowing water does it take to move a vehicle?
It takes just 12-18 inches of flowing water to carry away most vehicles, even large SUV's.
- What should I do if water is flowing across the road?
TURN AROUND DON"T DROWN - Look for an alternate route or wait for water levels to recede.
- What can I do?
Prepare for extreme wet weather – don’t delay! To help get started, please contact our emergency services team:
- Zander Johnston, Emergency Services Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org 760-777-7044
Sandbags are available for La Quinta residents at the locations listed below, during business hours. Residents will be provided with ten (10) empty sandbags. Please note that sandbags are empty and must be self filled.
La Quinta City Hall: 78495 Calle Tampico. Monday - Thursday from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. City Hall is closed on weekends.
La Quinta City Yard: 78109 Avenue 52. Monday - Friday from 6 a.m. - 2 p.m. Closed on Weekends.
Fire Station 32: 78111 Avenue 52. Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed on Weekends.
Fire Station 70: 54001 Madison Street. Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed on Weekends.
Fire Station 93: 44555 Adams Street. Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed on Weekends.
SAND FILL LOCATIONS
La Quinta City's Public Works Yard: 78109 Avenue 52. Monday - Friday from 6 a.m. - 2 p.m. Closed on weekends.
Fire Station 93: 44555 Adams Street. Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed on weekends.
For more tips or additional information, contact Zander Johnston at email@example.com or 760-777-7044.